Science has a problem: knowledge hoarding and anti-cooperative momentum caused by an out-dated intellectual property model and legacy scientific institutions is robbing humanity of important advances in medicine, clean energy, and other areas of scientific development. Legacy infrastructure and funding models prevent some of our brightest and most motivated minds from being able to tackle humanity's most urgent needs. Locked out of the scientific process, the public's trust of science is eroded by a growing knowledge and accessibility gap. Without the ability to participate in and understand the scientific process, the public learns to view it with distrust and apathy. As humanity stares down increasing existential threats, some of which are already coming to fruition, the system we need to rely on most is losing its credibility and functionality. We need science more than ever, but science also needs us to right its broken internal mechanisms. More specifically, it needs you.
The Science Commons Initiative is a non-profit collaboration aimed at increasing the public's access to and participation in the scientific process. We find, spotlight, and fund technological and other strategic infrastructure to help scientists and researchers solve some of the world's most pressing problems, with an emphasis on engaging the public. We seek to make long-lasting changes to the way science is produced and communicated so that it is more open, more democratic, and more optimized to benefit the public.
Who is behind The Science Commons Initiative?
Marcus A. Belcastro
- Science communication at BOINC Network
- Founder of Yora.Tech
- Contributor to Gridcoin and BOINC
- Senior Technician Cascadia Data Recovery
Paul W. Jensen
- Gridcoin Developer
- Core developer at BOINC
- Senior Software Engineer at NortonLifeLock
Warren T. B. Lucas
- Community contributor to Gridcoin
James C. Owens
- Core developer at Gridcoin
- CEO at Cisive
- Technical contributor to Gridcoin
- Mechanism design at Hansa
- Community leader at BOINC Network and Gridcoin
- Executive Director at the LBRY Foundation
- Author of BOINC dedicated Linux distribution
- Senior System Engineer at Seznam.cz